GPS Tracker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Tracker

Default GPS Tracker

So for all of those going to Tye’s this October (or even if you are not going) how many of you would like limited rules-based situational awareness of the opposing team via GPS?

Tye is on board with this idea so with his permission granted I propose the following: I would like to pilot or even “dry-run” limited situational awareness via cell phones using a free GPS application called GPS Tracker. It’s not the best app in the world but it is free and it does update near real time allowing “members” to track each other’s movements on the field of battle. If you have an iPhone (iOS) or an android phone you should be able to use this app or app similar (I know iOS for sure).

I realize there would need to be rules put in place (like frequency of use during a game or other rules based on scenario).

I would think it could be really cool to have for a game or two. Spice it up a bit. A phone per unit of men with limited use would give "situational awareness" (as long as there are two phones available obviously). Or you could have GPS tracking on your friendlies.

The app, GPS Tracker, is free for download on the iPhone. It updates almost near real time and it works best in areas without buildings. Maybe the "engineer" role would be the player with the GPS and you could tie rules to that.

If you do like this idea, or do not, please post a reply and let me know. For those that are willing to bring their iPhone or Android phone to a game and use it in the field of battle (if you have a good phone case) please respond here in this thread as well.

Depending on the number of phones available for this event, the platforms available for this event, and the feedback on this idea, Tye may come up with a few games tailored to incorporate limited situational awareness. I use the term “limited” when presenting GPS usage because there has to be rules to avoid 100% situational awareness (thus giving the game a twist).

Maybe the owner of the phone would be dubbed as “engineer” (unless you are ok with lending your phone out to a friend on the field of battle). I am not sure how all of this will pan out obviously but I wanted to throw the idea out there to get feedback first and foremost.

So three things:
    1) Your feedback: agree/disagree with situational awareness
    2) Your phone: Do you have one you could bring and if so, what platform (i.e., iPhone/Andriod/etc)
    3) __________ you fill in the blank

UPDATE*******For everyone singing up to bring either an iPhone or the android, I will send out a PM a few days before the event just as a reminder to bring it but really more to test it. If we can, it would be best to flush out any connection kinks before we all show up to Tye’s.

So far we have the following providing GPS:
    1) Armsofgeddon
    2) Chunk
    3) Tye
    4) Marsden Hand
    5) BDay
    6) Crap Can
    Last edited by armsofgeddon; 10-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.

I have an iPhone.

Is this program cross-compatible with Android, ect?

I have an idea that could work. Maybe the "commander" for each team has full access to the GPS. Each squad has to have a phone transmitting their coordinates but they aren't using the actual GPS screen. The commander stays in contact with troops via radio comms. Sniper teams would be the only ones with out GPS to stay stealthy.

This could work very well.
    Last edited by Tye; 09-27-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Take a look at the Objective Box! Check out my airsoft videos on YouTube!

1) Agree. Would be interesting to try out.

2) Galaxy S3 - Android

3) ? do it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tye View Post
    I have an iPhone.

Is this program cross-compatible with Android, ect?
    BattleTac is... but that one costs a few bucks

I think we may end up having a mix. Some with iPhones and others with Androids. We can use both platforms it's just I do not think iPhones and Android are interoperable with the GPS Tracker App. I'll look at BattleTac for iPhone.

So to run Web Lite on your phone, just open http://lite.battletac.com in the browser of your phone (iPhone and Android). Let's try this.

I am set up on BattleTac. Its a bit off from my true location.
    Take a look at the Objective Box! Check out my airsoft videos on YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye View Post
    I am set up on BattleTac. Its a bit off from my true location.
    Thats because its an Iphone......... OOOOOOOooooOOOOOoooo!!!

Kidding. What channel is everyone on? What PW?

Got battle tac just for this idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLci5DoZqHU

71 years old and still relevant.

"Courage, Endurance, Mateship, Sacrifice"
    "A Machine gun in the right hands is like a sniper rifle with more bullets"

Crapcan and I used it at a game once. Works great if you have signal.

I started a channel 5, security code ai

My username is chunk