G&G M14: Stock to DMR - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Tye View Post
    Have you considered running the R-Hop for this build?
    Im still pondering that. I can do an R-Hop easily, however, since Ill be using .30s and up, I should be using the ER-Hop. That requires a custom cut barrel and then price starts to add up, since I dont have the tools to cut the barrel window.

Chunk, cutting the barrel window is a lot easier than most people make it out to be. I simply used a dremel with a cut off wheel, polishing/grinding stone, and a small hand file. So long as you go slow, it isn't hard. I would certainly recommend you do a practice run on a stock brass barrel first though, to figure out a technique.I lengthened the window on my Mk 18 to better fit a regular R-hop in and haven't had any issues.

That being said, you can still use the regular R-hop with .30g and over. If you haven't seen Mantis G&G M14, we installed R-hop in it, and with a M130 spring and Madbull .36g bbs, he was getting close to 300ft of level flight.
    Iowa State Airsoft Club

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    Im still pondering that. I can do an R-Hop easily, however, since Ill be using .30s and up, I should be using the ER-Hop. That requires a custom cut barrel and then price starts to add up, since I dont have the tools to cut the barrel window.
    I would cut an extended barrel window for you if you like. Otherwise you could run the standard R-Hop without an issue. We were over-hop'n .28g's like mad with the standard R-Hop in a KWA until we perfected it.
    Last edited by Tye; 11-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Take a look at the Objective Box! Check out my airsoft videos on YouTube!

Thanks for the advise guys.

Airborne, What was Mantis' M14 chronoing at? Just for comparison. Encouraging to hear though. My goal is 300ft, or as close as I can get to that. If its been done once, it can be done again. RHop sounds like the best way to go.

Tye, do you have any extra Rhop peices for sale? Trying to get this going for the 17th.

If I remember right, his M14 was chroning at 425fps with .20g.

Also one thing I forgot to mention is that measurement was done by eyeballing and looking at wear the bbs landed on Google maps, so there is a bit of play, but according to many other people, 450fps with .20g using R-hop or ER-hop and .36g-.43g bbs, 300ft is entirely possible.
    Iowa State Airsoft Club

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    Thanks for the advise guys.

Tye, do you have any extra Rhop peices for sale? Trying to get this going for the 17th.
    I have the left over pieces of the Z-Hop (basically 2 R-Hops of different size) I would part with for $10.
    Take a look at the Objective Box! Check out my airsoft videos on YouTube!

Optics rail arrived today. Diggin it.

Marsden came over last night and gave me a hand setting everything up.

After reshimming, correcting the AOE, and putting everything back together... the M14 shoots great!

I was only able to chrono it with a straaaaange chrono I borrowed from Andy, and I honestly didnt trust what it was saying. I know Im over 400 for sure... how far over?... dont know yet. Plus its difficult to test range, when I go to work and come home while its dark. Ill have to wait until the weekend to see how far I can actually shoot.

As far as the internals, everything ran very smoothly. The gun is actually very quiet too. So Im hoping I can get a few shots off before someone picks out where the report is coming from.

Almost complete, a few more odds and ends to finish (Paint the tip, clean body, and then normal tuning). It will be at Tyes this weekend, so stop by and check it out.

After getting a skirmish in with this gun and getting to play with it for a few hours, I was really impressed. The lipo worked well for the setup I have. I had fast trigger response like I wanted, everything runs smoothly inside the gearbox, and the gun is still fairly quiet.

I used WE .36g BBs through out the day (Thanks Marsden), and had OK results. The BBs are green, so they were very difficult to see in the woods. I had to go off of the glimmer on the bb to try and guide them in to my target. I was able to get some really long range shots, out ranging a lot of players.

I ran into two problems though as the day progressed. The first being the Matrix Scope Mount. It's crap. I had a hell of a time just getting it to mount flush with the barrel. After I had that resolved, it was aimed slightly right, which made the scope worthless. I ended up removing the scope and going iron sites most of the day.

The second issue I had was with the hopup bucking. I kept having to adjust during game play. It would shoot straight for awhile, then BBs would start overhopping. Id turn it down, and BBs would shoot straight for a few shots, then start dropping really short. I wasnt able to keep it consistent.

I may have another scope mount to try, a better quality mount... which should remedy the scope issue. After that I am going to try the RHOP route and change to .40s (WHITE!). Will post again with results after the changes!