ROF rule at DOA - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ROF rule at DOA

Name
    Andy

A couple things.

First, I can't say I'm a huge fan of limiting rate of fire. That said, I can entirely understand why it's being done. Magazine restrictions have been put in place for a majority of Iowa games, but are almost never followed. The ONLY weekend games I have ever seen anyone actually check for magazine restrictions were at Tye's field (kudos Tye). Saying 'limit people to midcaps' is fine and dandy, but when everyone blatantly ignores the rule and rolls out with 10 highcaps, it's pointless. Limiting rof seeks the same end goal and is far easier to check and enforce. Chronoing to ensure fps? Hot damn, check rof while you're there too.

Second, I get high rof is nice and can be fun. I ran a dual sector gear UMP most of last year, and it was quite entertaining. That said, controlled bursts are the key to using a high rof gun and not being a total prick. Of the folks with high rof guns, there's been quite a bit of poor trigger control as rof gets higher and higher. I get that airsoft is a game and that you should be willing to deal with getting hit. That said, there is absolutely no reason to light people up with 20+ rounds when 2-3 would have sufficed. Instead of calling this a safety concern (as I was jumped on for before), I'm going to call it a prick concern. People being pricks with a high rof and hosing players leads to upset and angry players, people getting hurt, and people quitting playing.

Anyways, all said and done, I think it's a move in the right direction from DOA. Is it a perfect decision? No, by no means. Until we actually restrict magazines or come up with a better set of rules, it's going to continue being the highcap-spamming high rof stalemate that its been.

Best,
    Andy
    3CM10
    When in doubt, trick it out.

Sonny :
    Yes my chrono is from Evike http://www.evike.com/products/38781/ bought it new this January.
    I have used it only a few times. Mainly to see the differences with 7.4v and 9.6v .

Chunk:
    "Are you running nimh or lipos? what voltage? "
    I am using only 7.4 and 9.6 NiMh .
    "Whatever gun you bought most likely already shoots below 25rps"
    Yes so far the only gun that I have that might ex-seed that 25rps is my Saw . I know my SIG is 385fps @ 14rps . And my SVD is 550fps@ 1rps.

Tye:
    "Also, everyone needs to understand that ALL fields have limitations that need to be considered before attending. That is just the way it is. If you look at DOA's rules vs. 7 Scenarios vs. MACC vs. my private field games, you will see a lot of differences across the board. It unfortunately is just that way. "
    That's my point. I am not saying I do not like it , just that I was under the impression that the sport was more consistent than a back yard type game.
    Yes it would be kinda dumb to go to any game and not first know the rules.

I to like the idea of magazine control . I defiantly would be in favor of purchasing different capacity magazines . I my self hate my High caps ! I hate the inconsistent number of rounds I shoot before I have to wind . 10 one time 20 the next . So I went out and bought 6 mids for my AK and I love them . I am thinking of getting some low caps also but have not yet. My SIG only has 2 High caps and it is still a pain to play with .

I guess I am an old fuddy duddy . I got out of paint ball because I hated the run-and-gun type play . I hated the 300+ round supper fast shooting and general childishness of the game.
    I got into airsoft after watching a lot of YouTube vids and seeing MUCH older aged players ( I am old ).

Back on topic . I don't mind the rules . I was just questioning the consistency of them field to field.
    Last edited by QC Discus; 03-22-2014 at 06:52 AM.

I would bet you find that there are very consistent rules across the board. I would say standard his field limits are 400 SPS, and indoor limits are 350 FPS on semi only, with that being said I'm confused why people are so concerned about the rate of fire rule. If you're thinking your stock gun is going to shoot 25 rounds per second you got another thing coming. I know zero stock guns shooting over 25 rounds per second without some type of modification. I agree high-speed builds our fun. I have built a couple of myself and I've enjoyed the hell out of them. Again though it's the fields rules and we should abide by the fields rules. With this said though it would be nice if all of the Iowa Fields would get together and develop a standard rule set. This would unify the Iowa Airsoft fields more and allow the Airsofters to know more of what they're getting into before they show up. Like it has been previously said, this is America though, and we can all do what we want including not going to A field what we don't agree with the rules. Again though I think imposing any type of safety rules is a good thing for the sport.
    3CM-06

All this drama over ROF. As was stated most stock rifles wont have a problem with this rule. We are trying to have this set of rules across the state. I myself don't understand why you want a high ROF. It waste bb's and shows a lack of skill on not being able to track hit a target. That and it's an ego thing. Why would any adult play that way. Do you wish to really have command over a 12yr old that is using a wal-mart special. People don't care how their game play is going unless we help protect them. This is another tool to help us promote airsoft. Going to play somewhere else is a good idea if you cant compete against the young people because you cant beat them on level ground and are afraid of even game play. If you want to be a bb spamer your gonna have problems in central Ia. Suck it up all you so called adults.
    Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elderberry wine.

By that same logic, we should outlaw guns that shoot farther than stock range, because R-hop, flat hop, and heavy bbs would give you command over a 12yr old using a walmart special. People who have long range guns use them as a crutch because they can't beat people on level ground by using tactics to close the distance.
    Iowa State Airsoft Club

Quote Originally Posted by Papabear View Post
    All this drama over ROF. As was stated most stock rifles wont have a problem with this rule. We are trying to have this set of rules across the state. I myself don't understand why you want a high ROF. It waste bb's and shows a lack of skill on not being able to track hit a target. That and it's an ego thing. Why would any adult play that way. Do you wish to really have command over a 12yr old that is using a wal-mart special. People don't care how their game play is going unless we help protect them. This is another tool to help us promote airsoft. Going to play somewhere else is a good idea if you cant compete against the young people because you cant beat them on level ground and are afraid of even game play. If you want to be a bb spamer your gonna have problems in central Ia. Suck it up all you so called adults.
    Ok fine but personally I and I think anyone that has or has wanted to do a high ROF build does it for fun like the rest of the sport. If a kid wants to play with a Walmart gun let him the gun doesn't make the player the player makes the gun.

After yesterday at DOA, and their RPS rule... I never noticed an issue. 25 was plenty fast, and everyone seemed to enjoy the fact it was limited in such that way (at least that is the response I got from the many people I asked). I wouldnt expect this rule to change at DOA anytime, based on the positive response the owners received.

Limiting ammo would be nice to do, but I dont want to be the guy checking everyones mags before a game, making sure they are all 120 midcaps or whatever. Because if you dont check, youll get what I saw at Red Dawn IV (and many other games with this rule) multiple times and have people carrying X amount of midcaps, and up to 6 highcaps (rule was 1 highcap).

At least if they chrono, and are checked in for FPS and RPS at the beginning, given the proper tag to mark the gun... admin just has to see if gun as the external tag while they enter field. Much easier to do. Plus you can still carry as much ammo as you want, you just cant shoot it as fast! That doesnt seem like a bad thing! Haha

Yep, its only airsoft, and we can only shoot so far and so accurately... but they are toy guns, and we are grown people shooting them at each other. But turning it into speedball? Might as well just put up the blow up barricades like in paintball.
    This rule also seems to be a direction the national community is slowing going towards. Just doing some searching online, there are plenty of fields and forums out there that have implemented this same rule across the country. (although most seem to be 30rps) Im just going to prepare for this rule, keep all my guns below 25... so when it becomes the standard, nothing has changed for me.

Ill just leave this here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1517686_10202999931751976_1407315988_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	5191

I'm rather indifferent on the rule change. Speed builds just aren't what I'm into. However I also like the freedom and diversity of people being able to decide how to build an airsoft gun. If mag-dumping is a problem, I would assume that would be the point of having refs in play. It just seems to me that punishing the responsible airsofters who use their aeg appropriately is a step in the wrong direction. I understand there are new players with rentals and Wal-Mart guns. They are typically easy to spot and avoid on DOAs fields. I also understand that with that there are also advanced players. I simply feel there is a better solution than to have players tune their guns down to Wal-Mart standards.
    For example, players shouldn't be mag-dumping on other players anyway. That is for the ref to sort out. Second, the advanced players with the knowledge to build a high rps should typically be seeking out opponents of a similar skill level. I've played at DOA enough times to know that this is easy to do. Perhaps another thing to try would be maybe having a few games throughout the day that are mid-cap only for the players that need a specific set of restraints in order to enjoy themselves. Regardless of the rule change, I'm still going to go out there and have a good time.

Edit: None of this would even be an issue if we could just establish some sort of airsoft etiquette.
    Last edited by jedi; 03-31-2014 at 07:38 PM.

I can only imagine that if they lifted that requirement for crew served weapons you would see an influx of people using them. M60's, M249's and the like need something to impart the absolute fear they induce in real life and 40+ rof of would fill that nicely. When I ever get around to building a M60 it is going to be a high ROF monster to justify carrying that heavy pig.